Online Backup for Quickbooks
If you are doing Online Backup for Quickbooks, you will find the information here useful. I'll give you the instructions from Installing to using this online backup. The instructions that you will find here is specific to Online Backup for Quickbooks only. You can jump from section to section depending on what information you need.
The first thing that you need to have is your Account ID and password that you got when you signed up or activated your online backup. If you don't have this information you can go to this link to get your Account ID. You just need to follow the instructions that you have on that page. But if you already have your Account ID and password, you can follow the steps for Installing, Creating, Restoring online backup for Quickbooks.
Installing Online Backup for Quickbooks
You must install the Online Backup client program once you have obtained your Account ID and password. Follow the steps below to download and install the Quickbooks Online Backup.
- Download the setup file. You should see the one below:
- Click Save File button. This will save the file.
- After saving the file, double click on the file that you just download. The File Download - Security Warning window opens.
- Click Run to begin the installation.
- Windows Vista:
- Click Save and download the Onlinebackup_quickbooks.msi file to your desktop.
- Right-click the Onlinebackup_quickbooks.msi on your desktop and select Run as Administrator.
- On the QuickBooks Online Backup Setup Wizard, click Next.
- On the Select Installation Folder window, select the folder where you want to install the Quickbooks Online Backup then click Next.
Note: It is recommended to install the Online Backup client application to the default location.
- On the Confirm Installation window, click Next to start the installation.
- On the Installation Complete window, click Close.
- Enter the Account ID and Password you received in the e-mail when you signed up for the QuickBooks Online Backup service, and then click OK.
- The window below will appear. Just let it run.
- You should see a new icon on your system tray (icon on your lower right hand side of your screen where you have the time).
- Congratulations! You have now installed your Online Backup for Quickbooks.
Back to top
Creating Online Backup for Quickbooks
You can back up files from hard drives and mapped drives (on a network or network drives). But you can't back up files from CD/DVD drives or other removable media.
- Start the Online Backup program.
- From within Quickbooks:
- File > Save Copy or Backup > Backup copy (for QB 2009, 2008, and 2007 version)
- Click Next.
- Select Online backup and click Next.
QuickBooks closes the company file and opens the online backup program. A checkmark automatically appears to the left of the company file name in the Files tab of the program.
- From the system tray or Windows Start button:
- Make sure to close Quickbooks before starting the Online Backup program.
- Double click the Online Backup icon on your system tray (lower right hand side of your screen). If you don't see this icon, click the Windows Start button and choose All Programs > Quickbooks Online Backup > Online Backup.
- You will see the Online Backup program, click the Backup icon in the upper left corner. A Windows Explorer view of your computer appears.
Place a check mark next to the file or any additional files you want to back up. Your Quickbooks company file has an extension of .QBW. Make sure to check only the files that you want to backup. If you place a check mark next to a folder to back up, all its subfolders and files are backed up as well.
- Click Start Backup button in the lower right corner to start backing up your files.
Back to top
Restoring Online Backup for Quickbooks
- Start the Online Backup Quickbooks program by double clicking the icon in your system tray (lower right hand side of your screen). If you don't see this icon you can click the Windows Start button > choose All Programs > Quickbooks Online Backup > Online Backup.
- Click the Restore icon in the upper left corner. You'll see a list of available backup sets, in the order that they were originally uploaded to the Online Backup servers.
- Click the Files tab and select the files you want to restore. If you want to restore the entire restore set (meaning everything that was backed up for that date) place a check mark next to the restore set.
If you only want to restore selected files, you have to click the plus sign next to the folder and select that folder to view the files on the right pane then that's where you can place a check mark to select the files you want to restore.
- Click the Destination tab in the center of the screen.
- In the Destination directory, select the option to Restore files to original directories or Restore to new directory.
- If selecting to Restore to new directory, click the Browse button to navigate to the drive and folder restoring the files.
- (Optional) Clear the box labeled Include directory information to prevent additional folders from being created in the restore folder
- In the What to do if file already exists, select additional choices for restoring files:
- No overwriting of files (skip files that already exist)
- Overwrite files
- Confirm overwrite of file(s)
- Click the Start Restore button in the lower right corner to begin the restore process.
Back to top