Quickbooks Banking Basics
Quickbooks banking is mainly used by small business owners. This involves entering some basic banking transactions. In this page, you will learn how to write checks, make deposits, enter credit card charges and enter transactions in the register.
Whenever you're writing a paper check on the spot and you want to record it in Quickbooks, you can do this at later time through write checks in Quickbooks.
To write a check follow the steps below:
- There are several ways to open the write checks window:
- Click Banking menu then click Write Checks.
- Hold down CTRL key on your keyboard then press W.
- In the Home Page, click Write Checks under the Banking section.
Here are some parts of Write Checks window:
- Bank Account - This is the account from which the check is written. Make sure to select the correct one.
- No. - This is the Check number
- Date - This is the Date on which the check was written. This is very important for reports so make sure you have the correct date.
- Payee (Pay to the order of) - This the name of the individual or the company from which the check was written.
- Expenses and Items tab - This is where you enter the expense account (under the expense tab) or the item.
- To be printed - If you want this check to be printed later, place a check mark on this.
Another Quickbooks banking transaction is Make Deposits. This is simply where you record all the payments you received from your customers. Whenever you do Make Deposits in Quickbooks, you increase the balance of your bank account.
To make deposits follow the steps below:
- Click Banking menu.
- Then click Make Deposits.
Here are some parts of Make Deposits window:
- Payments button - Click this button to access the payments you received from your customers.
- Deposit To - Select the account where you want this to be deposited to.
- Date - This is the date on which the deposit was made. Make sure to select the correct date because this will reflect on your reports.
- The arrow pointing down - This is where you can manually enter any deposit that you would like to record in Quickbooks.
In the Enter Credit Card Charges window you can record all the charges/refund you make on your credit card.
To enter credit card charges/refund follow the steps below:
- Click Banking menu.
- Then click Enter Credit Card Charges.
Here are some parts of the Enter Credit Card Charges window:
- Credit Card - This is the credit card account on which you made the charge or refund.
- Purchase/Charge or Refund/Credit - Select the option whether the record is for a charge on your credit card or it's a refund.
- The arrow pointing down - This is where you enter the information like purchased from, date, etc.
- The arrow pointing to the left - This is where you enter the expense account or item.
Another part of Quickbooks banking transaction is the register. A register is a list of transactions on an account. All balance sheet accounts except retained earnings have a register.
To enter transactions in the register follow the steps below:
- There are several ways to open the register:
- Click Banking menu then click Use Register.
- Hold down CTRL key on your keyboard then press R.
- The Use Register window will appear. Select the account from where you want to access the register.
- Once you have selected the account click OK. Then you can start entering transactions from here.